10 Quick Tips on Choosing Darts and Cases
1. The dart material determines a dart's density and weight. More inexpensive darts use lighter metals such as copper and brass, which must be large to achieve a desirable weight. Most dart throwers prefer darts made of Tungsten, which is a heavier metal that allows a slimmer design.
2. Dart weight may not be important for the recreational player, but most serious players throw darts of a specific weight. This is a matter of preference. Soft tip darts generally fall between 14 and 20 grams, while steel tip darts are between 18 and 26 grams.
3. Dart flights provide drag to keep a true track toward the target. Typically, heavier darts need larger flights, while lighter darts fly well with slimmer flights, which allow for tighter dart placement.
4. Spinning shafts turn freely to help reduce deflections when other darts land close by. During contact, the shaft of these darts spin, allowing the flight to slide by one another, which can effectively make room for more darts in a smaller area.
5. Some steel tip darts offer retractable points. These help eliminate bounce-outs by letting the dart point slip off the dart board wire.
6. Dart tools are used with soft or steel tip darts. These help with tightening tips and shafts. They can also be used to spread metal shafts for easy flight insertion.
7. If you plan to play on a bristle dart board, make sure you're throwing steel tip darts.
8. Almost all electronic dart boards require soft tip darts. Be sure you're throwing soft tip darts on all electronic dart boards unless you're certain that it is a BristleTech dart board or other type that allows both tips.
9. The barrel knurl is another name for the grip on the dart barrel. The best grip offers control, consistency, and accuracy.
10. Don't forget design. Having darts with the right look can make you more comfortable, which can result in a very real psychological advantage.
Darts and Cases
"My son-in-law loves to play darts, so I wanted to get him a special gift. The only problem is that I know nothing about darts. I called your customer service and received a very helpful young man on the phone. He walked me through the site and I ended up placing an order."
-Lauren, Fresno, CA